Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Humans Behind the Avatars


These are male and female avatars, obviously a couple. They are operated by human beings sitting in their homes behind computers. Once the human logs off Second Life his avatar ceases to exist. The avatar was created by the human, and controlled by him. The avatar does not have an independent life of his own.

I used to have a girlfriend in Second Life. I mean, my avatar had a girlfriend avatar. I guess it's the same thing. Anyway, we didn't have sex but we did all the things couples do in SL like dance and cuddle in romantic places. SL is practically a heaven for people who like to do those things. Anyway, we broke up and don't see each other anymore.

She sent me a picture of herself in RL. That means I got to see what the human who controls my avatar's girlfriend looks like. She does not look at all like her avatar. I must say that I too don't look like my avatar. My avatar is much more handsome and athletic than me. But there are similarities between me and my avatar. Our style is similar. We are both simply dressed, no jewelry, no studs, and nothing too fancy. Just simple guys.

This is now, but a while ago I had a warrior phase. My avatar was armed to the teeth with weapons of all kinds - bow, knives, swords etc... It's called role play. Many people in SL take this to the extreme and have avatars that are animal like or non human - monsters, fairies, Furries, Gothic. Some sims in SL look like a big Halloween party. But a 365 days in a year Halloween party.

No comments: