Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Animals of Mystica

second life fresh news - witches and wizards village
Animals of Second Life part 1

By Fresh Catteneo

I love animals and as a child one of my favourite pass times was to go to the zoo and watch the animals in their cages. I found the monkeys the most interesting and could sit and watch them for hours . If there was no one to take me to the zoo then I would watch them on T.V on the National Geographic channel. SL is teaming with wildlife and it seems that almost all species of animals on earth have their virtual three dimensional representatives in SL (not to mention magical and mythical creatures). So I decided I might start a series of articles about SL's animals and try to document all the animals I will encounter in my journeys. Sounds like a big project but I think it will be fun, especially when all my friends will join in to help me (hint...hint....) Readers are also invited to send me pictures and descriptions of animals they meet or observe.

Yesterday my friend and co-worker SLFN reporter Marose Mizser invited me for brunch on a tower at a Sim called Mystica. It's a place dedicated to studying healing and the magical arts. The scenery is like taken straight out of a fairy tail book - black crows, giant mushrooms, colorful butterflies, dangerous black spiders, sky high castles etc.. It's a meeting point for witches, wizards and fairies.

second life high tower

We sat on the porch of this incredible tower and chatted away when suddenly an amazing blueish-green humming bird approached me to say hello. It was then that the idea popped into my head that all these marvelous animals have to be seriously documented.

second life animals - humming birdExcept for a black cat and a praying mantis, all animals I encountered at Mystica were winged. Well, it's not surprising since it's a Sim that specializes in witches and fairies that can also fly.
This yellowish- brown butterfly was found near a bush on the ground where hundreds of butterflies similar to him kept flying out in all directions. There is a good tutorial at Nathalia Zelmanov's blog on how to make these butterfly effects. (Here)

second life animals - butterfly
A butterfly is an insect of the order Lepidoptera. Like all Lepidoptera, butterflies are notable for their unusual life cycle with a larval caterpillar stage, an inactive pupal stage, and a spectacular metamorphosis into a familiar and colourful winged adult form. Most species are day-flying so they regularly attract attention. The diverse patterns formed by their brightly coloured wings and their erratic yet graceful flight have made butterfly watching a popular hobby. (Wikipedia). Here is another species of butterflies that were flying on the porch at the high tower:

second life animals - butterfly
This American eagle flew around at a high altitude searching probably for rats or mice or other small animals he could snatch on the ground. By the way, it might seem difficult to take pictures of these animals that are in motion. But actually it's very easy. I was surprised to find that once you zoom in on a moving object, the camera locks on it and follows it like a shadow, so you can snap away all you want. Also there will be no smudging of the picture like in RL when you shoot a moving object.

second life animals - eagle

Black cat

second life animals - black cat
Praying mantis

second life animals - praying mantis
Wasp

second life animals - Wasp
Elven Rider

second life animals - Elven Rider
Ladybug

second life animals - Ladybug
Scorpion

second life animals - Scorpion
Bee

second life animals -bee
On one of the walls at Mystica I saw a sign with a message. I think it is important so I will post it here:

Help Stop the Drilling in Another Wildlife Refuge

The Baca National Wildlife Refuge
Is not just another Refuge to be violated

There is only enough gas there to satisfy Americans lust for energy for 2 1/2 weeks.
The refuge is home to elk and bison as well as a host of rare and endangered plants and smaller animals.

Big Oil is raping our lands. Stop them now.

Click here for Second Life Animals Part 2

No comments: